Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Nyingma Seal



In 1968, H.H. Tarthang Rinpoche decided we should have a seal for the Tibetan Nyingmapa Meditation Center, then located on Webster Street in Berkeley, California. He invited me over one afternoon for lunch, and together we decided on the above design. The original artwork was done by Sherab Palden Beru, who was then in Scotland. When the artwork arrived, we decided to put a syllable in the center of the Dharma wheel. I suggested we use "OM," or "AH," and I used an X-Acto knife to cut out a small syllable and place it in the center. I then took the finished artwork to San Francisco to have negatives made. I have since seen others adopt this seal which is, as far as I am concerned, the Seal of the Nyingma Sect in the West, and is in any event protected by U.S. trademark. Yes, indeed, the Nyingma Seal is trademarked: serial number 72455697, registration number 1008177.

Rare photo of Sherab Palden Beru (right), artist who produced the Nyingma Seal.

Stumble Upon Toolbar