Monday, March 29, 2010

Rabbit Protection: That Time of Year Again

Every year at this time, people who should know better succumb to the whims of horrid children and buy a "pet bunny," for Easter. After the novelty wears off, the rabbits are abandoned, or die horrible deaths of neglect, in squalid cages.

Please do not subscribe to this.

There are many ways you can help: by adopting rabbits in distress, by making a nuisance of yourself at stores that sell "Easter" rabbits, and by generously supporting the good works of the House Rabbit Society (http://www.rabbit.org/)  -- as strident a group of rabbit lovers as you would ever want to meet. Click the banner, below, for more information --

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 reader comments:

Anonymous said...

I am most saddened at the use of the adjective, Horrid, to describe any being. The message could have been delivered with even more impact had the writer not been so judgemental and dismissive.

Editor said...

That was a mighty horrid comment for somebody in L.A.

Anonymous said...

As a rabbit owner, I made a decision to add to the hutch at this time of year, partly for the benefit of grandchildren. While I agree with Tempa's call for restraint in purchases for very valid reasons cited - responsible rabbit ownership is something that I (LL) try to promote.

Patricia said...

I dunno, I worked in the mall during Easter. Sometimes horrid is an apt description.

On a happier note, a wild cotton tail has resumed hanging out by me when I do my evening practice. I noticed him/her last summer when I was doing my afternoon practices (outdoors of course hee hee) and late yesterday evening when I was doing a walking practice in my back yard I noticed he/she was hunched down amongst the wildflowers regarding me with bright bunny eyes.
I'm glad he's back.
om mani padme hum

Editor said...

My rabbits sit attentively all the way through my practice sessions, watching everything that happens. Over the course of a few years, they have even come to know what is involved, i.e. they know there will be a bell and drum, etc., so they do not react in fright. People who have seen this have remarked that it is almost as if the rabbits are enjoying the chanting and so forth.

Jeanette said...

Greedy, thoughtless kids in a mall, screaming to buy an "Easter Bunny" are horrid by definition.

Patricia said...

@Tenpa. I'd love to have rabbits, but so would my akita, so my appreciation for the bunnies are the ones outside :D
@Jeanette, I agree. The only bunnies my husband and I brought home for our son were the chocolate variety. And by chocolate I mean milk chocolate, hee hee.